Studies have shown that not only does giving and helping others increase happiness, but that it can be contagious. Anyone who’s ever committed a selfless act of giving knows that the happiness felt as a result is a gift in and of itself. Many people go about life saying, “I would like to be more giving, but I just don’t have the time.” In fact, there are many ways to give each day without sacrificing time or effort. Small acts of kindness can be more powerful than you think. Below is a list of ways to be more giving in your daily life.
- When engaging in an act of giving, do not expect anything in return.
- Make it easy for yourself – are you going for a coffee? Bring a friend one also, no need to go out of your way.
- Listen with intention when your loved ones are speaking, they may hint at something you can provide for them.
- Keep an open mind as friends and family ask favors of you – you may not “feel” like doing it in the moment, but the act of helping is always enjoyed by both parties.
- One of the easiest ways to give is with food! Baking up a batch of cookies – even with the help of slice and bake – is an thoughtful and delicious way to give.
- Donating your time and full attention in the presence of loved ones is just as important as any tangible gift.
- Have a skill someone could benefit from? Donate your services once a week.
- Compliments! The easiest and arguably best gift you can give to anybody, including strangers, is a compliment.
Giving should not be limited to seasons, it is much more than that. It is an act of sharing happiness, love and kindness. While you are at, share it with our community.