Everyone’s desire in life is to be happy, but people fail to understand one most important thing about happiness, and that is that happiness is not determined by others, but instead, should feel personal and come from within.
It is often said that life is like a roller coaster, with twists and turns, and ups and downs. Similarly, life throws you a tough curve sometimes with situations that might make us feel entrapped. It may be human loss, traumatic physical injury or even emotional rejection from a significant other.
In these times, it is not easy to let go and stand up again with the same courage and zeal you might have had before. However, there comes a point where we have to start looking at the positives and be thankful for the things in our life that still remain stable and consistent after all that has been taken from us. We have to learn to be happy again.
It may sound impossible, but it’s not difficult to smile after a tough fall and enjoy life again. Here are some things to consider to help you get through it:
- Acceptance is the first step. Accept that life is simply complex and can be a combination of both happy and sad. A tough period doesn’t mean it has to last forever. Time heals all wounds, right?
- Start practicing self-care. Learn to help yourself first and know that what you’re feeling is completely valid but does not compromise your future of being happy and whole again. Acknowledge your feelings and try to counter them with positive, hopeful thoughts with wanting to move past it as the ultimate goal.
- Make a list of people and things that you know can always make you happy and let those add value back into your life.
- Keep yourself occupied. Plan your days and weeks in advance to allow both physical and mental exercise to be a a distraction to dwelling on unfortunate events. Engaging in new and regular activity will seize new opportunities for greater perspective outside of the rut you’re in.
- Be adventurous. Take a road trip with your friends, discover new foods, and face the challenge of feeling alive again. If you don’t want to travel with others and need some along time to reflect, try solo indulging to give yourself some space to move forward and start re-building and nurturing your mental well-being.
So what are you waiting for? Start making happiness goals and include all people around the world in your happiness at Linkagoal because it is time to #BeHappy again!